1/18/10

Thank you "A Christmas Story"


Yesterday I was driving to church when I noticed two boys playing across the street, probably about 9 or 10 years old. They were standing awkwardly next to a metal pole, staring at it while giggling and nudging each other. My instincts immediately revealed what was going on and I could almost hear the "triple-dog dare" escape their lips. lol

After a moment of hesitation, one of the kids mustered up every ounce of little-boy courage he had, and cautiously walked up to the pole, his friend waiting anxiously for the adventure that would ensue. He quickly touched his tongue to the pole and just as quickly pulled it away. His tongue did not stick. Their moment of disappointment was painfully obvious, but lasted for just that. A moment. A half-second later the other boy jumped to the pole and took the challenge, met with the same results. I laughed hysterically as I watched them continue in their fun, each making another two or three unsuccessful, but equally courageous, attempts.

A moment later they were gone, moving on to, what I can only imagine, became the next best triple-dog-dare. Their mischevious excitement was both palpable and contagious, and brought with it nostalgia.

I guess I'm not the only kid who's tried sticking my tongue to a pole. Admit it.... you have too!

3 comments:

Barry said...

Haha! Excellent movie...

Lia said...

I did, when I was very young. A chain link fence in the bitter cold and it did stick! Ouch.

Stevenson Family said...

That is such a cute story! And so well told. Love your writing. ;)