1/3/10

Becoming Spiritually Refined

It's a new year, my friends, and this girl has a lot to look forward to! Of the many lessons ahead, top of the list is spiritual refinement.

The word "refine" is simply beautiful. To reduce to a pure state; to purify, to free from coarse, unsuitable or immoral characteristics. Refinement encompasses change and adaptation, designed to improve performance and increase efficiency. Yet it does not come easily! Like any thing worth obtaining, it requires hard work, consistent attention and patience. It is truly a life-long pursuit, as there is no summit to be reached.

Over the last few months, I have learned that refinement is most certainly realized in the furnace of affliction. (1 Ne. 20:10). Though there may be moments of loneliness and moods of despondency, I relish in the furnace I am currently in, for it has created a deeper desire to become my best self. I have no doubt that there will come a day when I will look back at this period in my life and long for it, as twisted as that may sound.

We are all experiencing our own "furnace of affliction," yet we can find comfort in the fact that as we press forward and endure the bitter we are always met with an indescribable sweet, simply awaiting our arrival.

In my quest for spiritual refinement, I have "kicked-off" 2010 by creating a second blog - consisting of spiritual thoughts and insights. Expect nothing astounding, my hope is simply to spend more time pondering and slow down enough to record a few insights. In doing so, perhaps I can leave this life a bit more "refined."

7 comments:

Catherine said...

I'd like to read your new blog, if you'd add me. It's name reminds me a lot of Proverbs 31:10.

shirley Harris said...

I love you ...amazing insight!!!

Hubers said...

I would like to read your other blog please!!! I need some spiritual help, and reading others only betters me!! lilsis01@hotmail.com

Taylor's said...

Can I join you on this journey? I need a new body and a new spirit - my has been badly beaten and abused - thanks for sparking my goal to become more "refined".

I love you to death!

Unknown said...

Sounds amazing!

Add me! ;)

Natalie said...

I took the blog from private to public - so any who stumble on it might be exposed to the Gospel. ENJOY and feel free to add your thoughts!

LACEY said...

I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG!!! YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD WOMAN!