1/16/10

Dinner & a movie... with the ladies. HOLLA!

Last night was a girls night. Woot woot! What started out as dinner at a friend's house, quickly escalated into a night of talking, laughter and bonding. Naturally the conversation of men was addressed, and after our incessant school-girl giggling we determined it was completely necessary to see Robert Downey Jr. in all his glory, so we headed to Jordan Landing to see "Sherlock Holmes." Imagine our disappointment when we learned it was sold out. Really? Sold out? Even my flirting with the ticket-taker (yes, that was his official title) didn't free up any seats. Never fear, it takes more than that to keep us down! We ran home, booked tickets online and went to a later showing at the Gateway.

First movie I've been to in months! It was great and Robert Downey Jr. was incredible, as always. I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to movies, and seem so always find SOMETHING of deeper meaning. Sherlock Holmes was no exception.

The movie begins with Holmes and Watson working on a case in which they quickly come upon their dastardly villain, Lord Blackwood. In his haste to obtain Blackwood, Watson charges to attack him and is abruptly stopped by Holmes. The camera focuses on a long and lethal crystal-clear dagger, inconspicuously held at chest level, pointing directly at Watson. Had he continued in his path, it would have surely been the death of him.

"Holmes, how did you see that?" he asked in awe.

"Because I was looking for it," was Sherlock's cool reply.

Immediately I found myself pondering the significance of this scene. Awe, the hidden daggers Satan continually holds before us. I was reminded of the scripture in D&C: "If thou art not aware thou wilt fall." How very true. To be aware, to be proactive, to recognize Satan for what he is and acknowledge his clever, cunning and concealed weapons.... that... is life.

The night ended wonderfully, with talk of our next "girls night" already in the works. I wouldn't have spent my Friday night any other way. How thankful I am for good friends!

2 comments:

Carolyn Law said...

Natalie, you amaze me with your resiliency. I love reading your blog and I hope you don't mind me snooping into your life. I was talking to Cody about what has happened to you and I got so choked up that I couldn't finish it. Cody got this sad look on his face, shook his head and said "what is the matter with some people (leaving their family) You are inspiring and I have deep tender feelings towards you because you were such a cutie and fun kid. I know it is hard to believe the impact a person (a little kid) can have on my life, but you did. Stay happy for your little Gracie and for yourself. You are a very loved person. Your old neighbor, Carolyn Law

Unknown said...

I haven't ever seen the movie- But, happy to hear that you had a much needed girls night out.