3/22/10

Evolution of my kitchen

When I bought my home the kitchen looked like this.


$1500 and A LOT of elbow grease later, it looked like this:
New flooring, new appliances, gave the cabinets a facelift by adjusting, distressing and glazing them then adding molding, changed the light fixtures, painted the walls, installed tile countertops, a bar overhang and a new faucet. YES for less than $1500 INCLUDING appliances.


It currently looks like this:
As part of my healing process I'm making over my home. I've about done with the front room (pictures to come soon) and am finishing up my kitchen. I'm going feminine and a bit more modern, rather than the rustic I originally had.


I'm thinking of making it look like this:
(yes I rigged a photo in iweb lol) I literally beat up the original cabinets so repainting those isn't an option, however, my friend loves my cabinets and we have the same kitchen, so she's excited at the idea of swapping out cabinet doors. I'd have fresh cabinets to paint and she'd get the rustic look without having to do the work.

I'm leaning towards clean, bright white but I could also go a little ivory with glaze overtop - to bring out the ridges. I'm going for a modern but feminine feel

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Switch to white?

11 comments:

Harris said...

YES! LOVE the white with the blue!
I didn't realize what it looked like before BEFORE!! I hated our cabinets in our town house but had NO idea I could make them look like THIS!!! Awesome job!!

Stevenson Family said...

Ok, first off CUTE pics! I love the new ones of you and gracie. Second, white is a great idea. I'm loving the fresh happy feel of white recently. And switching your friend seems to be a perfect thing.

Ps. I think the birds are adorable. Whether or not they're "trendy". ;)

Natalie said...

10 minutes after posting this I lost my patience and started painting them white. lol.

Now that they're half way done I'm glad to get a little feedback, and to see that at least two of you concur. (and both of you have GREAT taste so I must be on the right track).

White it is.

Harris said...

good choice,white is far better! the living room looks amazing ps, very well done!
Devin

Shae said...

well...i guess i won't put my 2 cents in since you've already started painting them white. i liked the look of the wood color...but i was going to suggest to paint over the blue and paint it a pinkish/brown color...kind of like Neapolitan icecream when you mix it all together... i don't know if you can picture that or not...but i have a color like that in my laundry room, and i love it, because it gives it a feminine feel without being too "pink".

however...since you've already started painting it white...are you going to keep the blue? i do have to agree that i also like this combination, as that is exactly what i have done in my kitchen. :) i have white cabinets, with blue walls. lol

Amelia said...

I was going to suggest something like this: http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/sweetpeaforme/house/MATGXX01.jpg That's how I want to redo the coffee table I'm working on now.

Devon and Alicia said...

We have similar taste because my cabinets are white and the wall color is a blue gray and we have the same appliances...funny. When I made over my kitchen I decided on white cabinets because I wanted the room to feel bright and open. I LOVE the look of my white cabinets, but I HATE that I can see all the fingerprints of little ones and dirt. They look dirty much sooner than other colors of cabinets. On the other hand I guess my cabinets get cleaned more often then they would if they weren't white. I put stainless steel treatments on my cabinets to match my appliances and it really made the cabinets pop and I love it. Change is good and if you have the energy I say DO IT!

Lia said...

I think people would be MOST impressed if they really knew what your Townhouse looked like before you gave the whole thing it's face lift. I remember being the nosey Realtor who'd seen it before and wanted to see it after. I was so impressed. I really think you need to come work on my house, especially if you can do it for that cheap!! I'm a terrible decorator!! I think I'm too picky.

Josh and Anna said...

I love the white, I think it really lightens the room up. I'm so inspired by your remodel, I might have to hit home depot and see what I can do!

Sarah said...

Ha Ha once again! Now that we have dark walls and dark furniture, I've decided from now on I'm going to go white and light. It's a nice change Natalie, go for it!

Barry said...

Totally rockin remodel there, Nat. Looks absolutely fab.