3/17/10

A breakthrough in happiness!

After "remodeling" my home last week (pictures to come soon) I've been on a shopping spree for accessories. The other night I was walking down the isles at Michael's when I saw a little bird. It was SO CUTE I couldn't help but smile as I heard myself say out loud, "Cute!" But I knew I couldn't possibly buy that bird... birds are so trendy. "But wait!" I thought to myself, "I smiled! Who cares if it's trendy, that little bird made me smile. I have to get it!" And get it I did. In-fact, I bought the entire family of birds. And why not?

They make me smile!


Now every time I walk into my front room I smile. This got me to thinking: I've never really paid attention to what makes me feel happy. I've always been so focused on DOING what makes me happy, that I've never considered FEELING what makes me happy.

This has begun a new experiment, and I've found myself spending copious amounts of money on things I love. I look at something, ask how it makes me feel, and then I make a decision; To buy or not to buy. In the past I'd buy something only because it was on sale and "cute enough." Now I find myself buying the thing I really love whether or not it's on sale. These have proven to be wise investments but this practice can obviously get out of hand, so pace yourself and know that a little goes a long way. A $3 bird may be all you need!

...Such a simple form of self-discovery.

Behold, a small taste of things I purchased this week that made me smile:


After such a discovery it only felt right to buy a few things to wear that make me feel happy. I paid close attention, and if something made me smile I knew I had to make it mine. Needless to say... I am one happy girl. (Yes that is a picture of my rockin' body. Never question me).



What makes YOU feel happy?
I challenge you to pay attention to what makes you smile - and then indulge a little. Not only do you deserve it, but you just might surprise yourself.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

I've had the same focus for the past few months. And what I've found makes me smile are not so much things, or not things to purchase. But things I notice. The perfect moments. Like how cute the robins are in my tree in my front yard, when they try to reach a berry that is just out of reach. Or Oliver sitting on the dog's head. Or the particular color of green of the tulip leaves that are poking out of the soil. The smell of dirt. The look on Oliver's face when I surprise him with a new hot wheels truck when I pick him up from school. Finding the PERFECT gift for someone I love. I've started looking for those perfect moments, and have been surprised at how often they come when you are watching for them.

Lia said...

I love your bird, so pretty!

Laughter, rain, flowers, beautiful words, good smells, my children's smiles, .....these things all make me happy.

Sarah said...

Better be careful. I have a thing for bird figurines, in fact a bought one for my kitchen table just a few weeks ago. And I love Black & White Toile. We used to be so different, but now you're coming around! What can I say....I guess I do have good taste after all! I guess we should go shopping together again sometime soon!