10/12/10

Growing pains

Being an adult is no fun. It comes with trials. Not just little bumps in the road, but gapping chasms we must face and cross every day, for the rest of our lives. They become a part of us - a reality we can either fight or embrace. And while things may seem easy for a period of time, it only takes one change to alter our entire life, and it's usually something we never saw coming. Whether through our own choices, the choices of others, or simply the surprises life hands us, change will come.

This is something I've thought a lot about lately, and a fact I'm trying to embrace as I deal with my x weekly, and will likely do so for the rest of my life, or at least for the next 17 years. We're amicable for the most part, but it's still a change that takes getting used to. A change that will never go away. That's part of being an adult. I have two sisters in Kentucky, and both have a handicapped child. The frequent hospital visits, daily treatments and endless medical bills are simply a part of life for them. They're amazing! I don't think I could handle it, but that's part of being an adult. I just learned my childhood friend's wife had cervical cancer and now suffers from frequent seizures. Thankfully he has family near to help, but his lifestyle has been altered forever. That's part of being an adult. A divorced friend is nearly a hundred-thousand dollars in debt because of custody battles, and after 8 years of going back and forth there is still no end in sight. She has no choice but to deal with it. That's part of being an adult.

I guess part of being an adult is dealing with adult trials. They're no fun, but they sure are growing!

1 comment:

doni said...

I remember when my biggest worry was who I was going to eat lunch with. If only I knew... Good job on the Top of Utah. I did it a few years ago and thought it was a good one.