2/8/10

HAPPY NEW BEGINNING

Today marks what would have been my 8th wedding anniversary. As I sit here typing, I look out my window and can't help but smile. It's a GORGEOUS day! The sun is brightly shining and every bit of snow is melted. (This is a good thing, until I realize my backyard is full of an entire winter's worth of dog-poo, waiting patiently to be picked up).

I have lunch with my sister today. In an hour, infact. Mexican food. Always appropriate for a fiesta. I'm so grateful for her consideration and look forward to some serious grub. She's my only sibling near-by and has really reached out to me through my divorce, always with impeccable timing.

Since this anniversary fell on a weekday I "celebrated" over the weekend. A dear friend took me out and planned an incredible experience - with less than a days notice.

The day began with a surprise visit to the spa, as he informed me I was getting the "princess package" and would be pampered from head to toe. WAS I EVER! Facial, scalp treatment, manicure, pedicure, hot-stone massage and make-up application. If you've never had a hot-stone massage may I suggest, nay insist, you put it on your "to do" list. Awwwwesome! He waited patiently for HOURS while the pampering proceeded. It was fun to have him by my side, entertaining the "older" women during my manicure, all of whom joked incessantly that he give their husbands lessons in how to treat a woman.

After hours of indulgence, we headed north for a "reservation" he had made. A reservation? In Ogden? We stopped for some quick food along the way, and pretty much inhaled it to avoid being late. Now I was REALLY curious what the reservation was for.

Skydiving. That's right. Skydiving. A vertical wind tunnel that just might have provided me with the most fun I ever had. ...EVER! (The company didn't hurt either). I think the package consisted of two "jumps," but every time I'd leave the tunnel my friend would look at me and motion, "One more?" To which I could never resist. After 30 minutes of this, we decided we'd better call it a day, mostly because my body was shaky from the new sensation. He was so good to me, insuring I enjoyed as many jumps as I could handle. I learned how to have proper form, how to turn, how to rise up and fall quicker, and how to do a front flip and back flip. It was INCREDIBLE!!! I'm hooked, to say the least. He got me the video, so I'll be posting in on here once I figure out how.

During each jump I tried to keep my mouth shut, but I just couldn't help but laugh and yell. Needless to say, I had slobber going EVERYWHERE. I felt sorry for my instructor lol. I laughed over it for hours and the natural high persisted for days. I MUST go again... the sooner the better!

To top off the day my friend surprised me with flowers. Lilies. They're my favorite flower, and have taken on new meaning since my divorce. I cried.

D&C 84: 81-85. For, consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin; and the kingdoms of the world, in all their glory, are not arrayed like one of these. For your Father who is in heaven, knoweth that you have need of all these things. Therefore, let the morrow take thought for the things of itself. Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.

This "anniversary weekend" was the perfect example of my needs being met in the very hour. And today continues to be an example of such. I am BEYOND GRATEFUL for good friends and family.

As was written on the card with my flowers: "Happy New Beginning." New beginning indeed.

8 comments:

shirley Harris said...

hope your day goes ok....You are in my prayers extra amounts today.. I love you...mom

Taylor's said...

Holy fun filled day! I have been thinking about you all day. Seriously - I absolutely cherish our friendship - the Lord knew I needed you - maybe that is why we have not moved yet!

Harris said...

wow, what a great guy! Glad you have people to be with!

Amanda said...

Natalie, your blog is so inspiring to me of how to truly make difficult things become a source of strength in moving on in life. I'm thinking about you today.

Dan & Jess Turner said...

Natty, It was nice to get together tonight. I am constantly amazed at your strength and your willingness to draw upon the One True and Eternal source of Strength. I know great people and opportunities will continue to flow into your life as you trust God. I love you.

Lia said...

I'm glad you had a celebration! Here's to New Beginnings!!

Harris said...

Nat I am happy to hear that you are staying strong and positive. I hope today is full of fun and more adventure! Here's to your new Beginning, and to all those who may be doing the same!!!!! Love you!!!

Camilla said...

what a wonderful friend and wonderful weekend! I love your posativity in all this. YOu are a strong woman and i admire you!