4/10/10

An ugly board with beautiful results

In 2006 I had an entire "dry-erase board" wall, designated solely for goals. It was unsightly. (It was actually a sheet of shower-wall from Home Depot - about $10. Genius). This morning I woke up thinking about goals, and decided I needed to pull out the "shower wall" again. "But where will you put it? It's so ugly. Wait a minute... who cares! You live alone, put it wherever you want." And so I did.

My bedroom wall now has a grotesque white-board on it - sure to become my secret pride and joy, a source of utter satisfaction. (I pulled out the circular saw and cut it into 3rds so it's not quite so gaudy).

Few things are as rewarding as a goal accomplished. As I was preparing my "goal-wall," I went through past year's goal charts and felt such a sense of pride. It was fun to see all the goals, big and small, I had fulfilled - which left me to marvel over the power of writing goals down. I'm in awe of what can be accomplished when a target is broken down by month, week, day and even hour. From acquiring characteristics to acquiring "things" - the formula proves successful.

Below are 7 goals over the last few years, those which took the most work to obtain and, as I look back on them, created the greatest sense of accomplishment. Funny pattern... THE MORE CHALLENGING THE GOAL, THE GREATER THE SATISFACTION. I wonder if I would have been so persistent, had I not written them down.

2006: Buy a home
2006: Go to the Temple
2007: Get my Realtor's license
2007: Buy and remodel an investment property
2008: Have no debt (except home)
2008: Start a family (originally set in 2006, finally fulfilled in 2009)
2009: Weigh xxxlbs :)

Here's to a fresh board, and a fresh start! Love me some goals! :)

5 comments:

Shae said...

those "wall boards" are the best! sometimes i wish that i had a huge one like that that i could organize things on...or let the kids draw on, but i just have no where to put it! we had one in college, and it was great!!

Amanda said...

sounds like you've done great with your goals! good for you!

Unknown said...

Goals are a very important thing. For me, the help me stay where I need to stay and improve!
Good job on reaching the big and important goals!

Harris said...

Thanks for the plug on goals! You're awesome! Where's your after picture? :)

Anonymous said...

Your SMART,
Your Beautiful,
Your Blog is so inspiring,
It makes me want to cry,
It has also made me smile,
on any given day!!!

Keep it up... :)