12/23/09

A Touching Moment

Monday I went to get my brother from the Salt Lake City airport, as he had just arrived for my little sister's wedding. While I was diving along the pickup area, my heart was touched as I witnessed an incredibly poignant scene unfold before me.

An ecstatic woman, probably in her 30's, burst out of her car and jumped into the arms of her returning solder, all in one sweeping motion. For a split second her legs desperately searched to be closer to him, nearly climbing up his own, until they found their rightful place around his waist. He held her and stumbled for a moment, laughing, until he was forced against the car in an effort to keep his balance. I felt their raw, unbridled emotion as they remained tightly embraced and smiling, swaying gently back and forth. They thought nothing of the people around them, and carried on in overt affection.



For a moment I felt out of place, as if I was witnessing something I wasn't privy to. A peeping Tom of sorts. Yet that didn't stop me from watching. I was about to honk in approval but in a split-seconds time I decided against it. I'd best let them savor this moment with no distractions. It was not my place to participate. I decided I'd just have to settle with blogging about it instead. As I was forced to move forward with the flow of traffic I was disspointed to realize that I would miss the rest of the story. With a cheesy smile on my face, tears began to flow. I wished so badly that I could have captured that moment on camera - for them to replay again and again. It was beautiful and their love was palpable.

THANK YOU to the many courageous men and women who serve our country and the strong family members who stand behind them. I pray that you may enjoy this Christmas season in a special way this year.

3 comments:

Shae said...

What a touching moment to be able to be a part of! I can't imagine what those military wives go through after having their husband gone for so long, and finally return home--safe!

Amanda said...

I too am grateful for all our hard working soldiers working to protect this wonderful country. I get so emotional about it.

Laura said...

My husband's job requires him to be away for weeks at a time. And as hard as that is, I know it could be worse. I could be a soldier's wife and have my husband gone for months at a time.

Reading about the scene you witnessed, I couldn't help but think of those moments in my own life, where upon seeing my husband returning safely to me, I cling to him with no thought of others around me.

I am especially grateful for their sacrifice--the soldiers and their families.